What does FOB means in a Key ?
FOB stands for free on board which means not attached to the car. This is a small device that provides access to the car remotely usually this is a key with small buttons, that locks and unlock the car’s door.
this simply refers to the key less entry system, it includes short range radio transmitter which sends a distinct coded signal to a receiver unit in the car when a button on the fob is pushed. That in result unlocks or locks the doors.
Which battery is needed to Replace the FOB VW key ?
CR2032 battery is the battery that is used in VW fob key. for your information this battery is different than a MEB ID.3 battery pack which is a high voltage 408V DC lithium ion battery.
Specifications of battery CR2032 used in VW key fob
|Shipping Weight:||0.01Lbs (0.16 oz)|
|Warranty:||60 Day Return|
This lithium CR2032 battery is a replacement for Eveready ECR2032; Duracell DL2032; Varta CR2032; RayoVac CR2032; Maxell/Toshiba CR2032; AUDI Keyless Entry.
Five simple steps to Replace VW Battery in fob key
believe me it is not as difficult as you think it is to replace the battery of fob key, what you need is a small screw driver that can fit in the screws of fob key, new battery and tape or glue.
follow these simple steps
- Hold the button on your Volkswagen key fob until the emergency key comes out.
- Make sure you have a firm grasp on the key fob. If you prefer, you can attach it to a small metal key ring that you can hold on your index finger.
- Locate the seam which connects the lid and the base of your fob. Use your fingers to begin separating the two. The screwdriver can be used to pry the pieces apart. Be careful during this step because you do not want to scratch the key fob.
- Replace the old battery with the new one. Make sure that the positive side faces downward.
- Close the remote case tightly to hold everything in place. The replacement process is now complete.
Also Read VW MEB Platfom
Volkswagen Key Replacement
Car key replacement can be expensive, so, it is beneficial to keep a spare key. If you don’t have a spare key and need VW key replacement, stop by Volkswagen today.
Remember to bring your driver’s license and your proof of ownership before you visit.
If you’ve just picked up a new VW key fob, it will need to be programmed.
Second method to open VW fob key and pull out battery
- Push down the button on your Volkswagen key fob to eject the emergency key; you will then need a steady grip on your VW key fob for the next step.
- Find the seam between the lid of your Volkswagen key fob and the base. Using your fingers, begin creating a space between the two until they pry apart.
- Remove the old key fob battery, and insert the new one into your fob. The positive side of the battery always faces down.
- Put the VW key fob remote tightly back together. Make sure there are no spaces.
Start the Car without Your Smart fob Key
older VW key fobs come with an emergency key or a bayonet key. With this key, no power is needed. It will still work on vehicles with keyless entry or a push button start feature even if the car key battery needs to be replaced. All you have to do is hold the emergency key below the ignition and the engine should start.